Monday, June 16, 2014

I did that Sunday brunch thing in New York

Tonight is not a night for introductions. Let's cut to the chase. I ate some good food and drank a good drink in Greenwich Village yesterday. Here's the nitty gritty of it.

1. Baker & Co.
My friend asked if I wanted to join her for brunch on Sunday. My response: "Do I ever say no to an opportunity to eat?" Her choice was an Italian spot in the West Village that opened only two months ago, and when we arrived at Baker & Co. on Bleecker Street, she noted her damn good Yelping skillz. No crazy line, a menu with reasonable prices, and all in an impressive setting.

We sat in the backyard "garden," or better put, an adorable box. A few outdoor tables enclosed by an awning and makeshift walls have become a quaint setting given its charming lighting and potted greenery. But what made the experience so special was the eggs benedict – the best I've ever had the pleasure of eating (my friends agreed).
Thank you for existing.
Mine came with proscuitto and mozzarella, delicately poached eggs, and a crushed truffle Hollandaise sauce. Theirs had lump crab meat and avocado. The English muffin was toasted to perfection but also fresh and spongey. (Yes, that's a good thing. It's nearly midnight, and I could go for some right about now.)

2. America's First Cappuccino
Our stroll through the Village continued, with our final destination being Washington Square Park. Along the way, our mission was to find coffee. As we passed the historic Cafe Wha?, which turned out not be a cafe, we nearly lost hope.

Then, out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a place called Caffe Reggio claiming it had "the original cappuccino." Whatever that meant. I didn't pay much attention to it, until I observed a mural on the wall above a separate pizza parlor along the same street making the same claim about Reggio's cappuccino. You don't get your own mural space like that unless you're legitimate.

I conducted a quick Google search, read the Wikipedia page, and discovered it was the first cafe in the United States to serve cappuccinos. On display in the restaurant is the original espresso machine that the Italian founder purchased, which was made in 1902 and used in the U.S. once the cafe opened in 1927.
What do you think of this silver monstrosity?
We all ordered the iced hazelnut cappuccino – because it was too warm out for a hot coffee, but how can you pass up an authentic cappuccino in its own home? It tasted so real, the rich flavor of the coffee beans evident but not overpowering. Not at all like what you'd purchase at Starbucks.
I drank a cappuccino in the place it got its American introduction.
Sitting there sipping on our iced drinks, we learned that not only were we sitting in front of the famed machine made at the start of the 20th century, but also we were located across from the brownstone where Little Women author Louisa May Alcott lived.
Sugar bowls lay on each table.
It made us wonder, "What if we had passed it by entirely?" "How many firsts and other historic sites had we already ignored?"

New York City surprises me every day. But I keep my eyes open for more of those surprises. Because I know they're in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment